Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Scary Mall Experience

I have been trying to find a dress to wear to a wedding this weekend, so yesterday around 6 PM I decided to hit the St. Louis Galleria. I parked my car in the garage close to the entrance I wanted to go in. I know that it's best to park as close to the door as you can for safety reasons. My cell phone rang as I got out of the car so I answered it and kept walking. I passed a girl in the hallway on my way in who seemed to be arguing with a boy. They looked to be in their late teens or early twenties. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they both looked at me and stopped at the door. I didn't hear what they said to eachother, but the boy turned around and started walking behind me. He was walking right on my heels and it made me very uncomfortable. I got off of the phone so that I could pay more attention to my new shadow. I sped up my walking pace, but so did he. At one point I looked over my shoulder and he was maybe 10 paces behind me. I met his gaze so that he would know I saw him. He stared a hole through me and my heart jumped. Now I sped up to almost a jog. He was still there. I realized I should go into a store and ask for help if he followed me in. I darted into H&M and quickly got into the racks of clothing. I stood where I could see the windows and saw him stop and look around. He was looking for me! When he didn't see me he slowly walked on...all the time looking around for me. I stayed in the store for at least 45 minutes. After I left H&M I stopped at a few more places and thankfully did not see him anywhere. I was scared he might be waiting at the entrance for me since he knew where I came in. I was planning to find a security guard to walk me to my car, but luckily I saw a group to walk out with. I am so glad I was alert enough to notice this guy. I shudder thinking what he was planning to do. I could have been robbed or even assaulted.

Ladies please be careful when out shopping by yourself no matter what city you live in. Be aware of your surroundings and note any behavior you think is suspicious. If you think someone might be following you, find a security guard or ask a store to call one for you. I'm not saying you need to be paranoid everywhere you go...just be street smart. Don't talk on your cell while walking
through a parking lot or garage. The boy following me thought I was distracted and didn't notice him...luckily I did. I easily could have been engrossed in my conversation and dropped my guard. Let's all stay safe out there.

No comments: